Friday, March 31, 2006

What's for Lunch?


Hi Boob!

Hi Honey, how do you feel? You sound pretty bouncy!

Hey, how did you know?

Your mother told me earlier today when she called. She said you called her from school on her cell phone while she was driving, on the way to work. That's how I know. But obviously you feel fine now, right?

I'm fine. I'm outside, playing. Can you hear the dogs? I've got a new ball. Mommy bought it for me on Wednesday when she did the shopping.

That reminds me, we'll have to get your basketball over to you. And your scooter, and your bicycle. And what else? Right, I almost forgot, your skateboard. More use to you there than they are here, since you're not going to be able to use them here any more.

That's all right, Bubbe, I'll look for the basketball when I'm over at your place tomorrow

How was school today?

Good. We had a big spelling test, about fifty words, and I'm sure I got them all right. It was easy. And guess what? No homework this week-end! It's our teacher's birthday tomorrow, April 1st, April Fool's Day! She said she would give us a birthday gift for her birthday, so no homework. And guess how old she is? Thirty-four years old. Mom is ten years older than that.

Right, your teacher's just a kid. Do you realize that I'm more than twice the age of your teacher? Wow, that's some age differential. No wonder you like her so much, she's almost a coeval; that means just about your age.

Bubbe! She's a lot older than me. She's my teacher.... Did I tell you we saw a lot of deer droppings on the trail in back of the garage this morning? Ewww!

Lucky you, kiddie. And remind me while you're here to have a look for that tee-shirt I promised you, the one with the front all full of coloured rhinestones in a basket-of-fruit design.

Okay, Boob. Bubbe, what's for lunch tomorrow?

Lunch? Whatever you feel like. How about a bowl of chicken soup and rice. Would you like a grilled cheese sandwich? I baked a coconut cream pie for Zayde today, you can have some of that. What do you think you'd like to have?

All that stuff sounds good to me. I was thinking about a grilled cheese sandwich. I'm staying with you tomorrow until Mom and Zayde are finished loading up the summer furniture, aren't I? And then we're all driving back together to our place?

Right, Baby.

Follow @rheytah Tweet