Tuesday, August 16, 2005

You've got Shampoo!


This is a ritual. As so many things which comprise our daily lives happen to be. We are, after all, as my husband so often reminds me, creatures of habit. The ritual in particular I am speaking of is that which starts our day. Aha! you say: a shower. Yes, as it happens, our daily shower. We happen to have a nice large double shower. So, saving time and energy we shower together. I do give him a head-start, a few extra minutes in the shower before I swing in beside him. Having had (scant, but sufficient) time to soap himself up, he immediately turns his attention to me, and soaps my back. I return the compliment, soaping up his back. Aren't we quite the pair?

When I've finished soaping myself overall, it's time for shampoo. Yes, since we take daily morning showers we also daily shampoo our hair. He portions out sufficient shampoo into my outstretched palm and I apply it vigorously, and he does the same for himself. Then it's time for a conditioner. You know what happens when you use the same shampoo day in day out? Well, it seems to get tired. You know that when your hair no longer seems clean enough after the process; limp and lank.

There's a neat trick to get around this. What happens is that there is a build-up in your hair of the constituents of the shampoo and conditioner and you require something other than more of the same to completely clear your scalp and hair. You could turn to another shampoo made by another company and that does the trick quite handily. Or, you could make your own shampoo quite easily and that works even better.

Using a clean bottle such as an old dish detergent bottle you mix one-half good quality dish detergent, one-half water (that is one cup of each), and add a quarter-cup of white vinegar. This works really well. In fact, it works so well you can do away with the commercial shampoo and conditioner altogether.

When our children were young and we were at times squeezed in our household budget I would often make our own shampoo. People used to compliment me on the sheen of my long brown hair. It works. That was then - the long brown hair - this is now - short, grey hair - but it still works. Make your own shampoo.

Follow @rheytah Tweet