Friday, July 26, 2013

The Irony of Hypocrisy

"Three years ago I was a single workaholic, travelling the globe with an amazing job at the U.S. State Department. I could not have imagined how much my life would change in three short years.
"For years I spent my professional life at the back of the room, far from the stage or the microphone. I kept my personal life private, even as the people I was close to lived in the public eye. But all that changed two years ago and Anthony and I have spent these past few years working through the very private challenges we faced on a very public stage. So when people tell me they're surprised to see me out on the campaign trail, I understand because, trust me, no one is more surprised than I am. 
"So why am I doing this? Because Anthony has always been a smart, caring, and dedicated person, and while he's the same public servant who wants what's best for the people he represents, he is now something else -- a better man. New Yorkers will have to decide for themselves whether or not to give him a second chance. I had to make that same decision for myself, for my son, for our family. And I know in my heart that I made the right one."
Huma Abedin, New York City

Kathy Willens/The Associated Press

Now what's a smart, beautiful young woman with personal ambition doing standing steadfastly alongside someone like her husband, Anthony Weiner who appears functionally incapable of reining in his adolescent hormones, anxious to share his sexuality with any woman who might conceivably find him as irresistible as he believes himself to be? His wife, Huma, admittedly has a mentor, yet another intelligent woman no longer young, but who also famously chose to stand by her man.

Even when as he so often occasioned to release his imposed inhibitions sufficiently to allow himself to step out of his adult persona to take on that of an arrested juvenile, besotted with his ego and charm so enticing to women prepared to surrender their dignity and their bodies for the brevity of satisfying his appetite. Ms. Abedin has worked for years alongside Hillary Clinton, and was an invaluable assistant to her when she held the post of Secretary of State. She has been around, she knows politics.

And she knows, without a shadow of a doubt that what she wrote for Harper's Bazaar, repeated above, is pure claptrap, useful propaganda for her husband's mayoral campaign for the New York City campaign. Ruefully, for no woman willingly seeks to forgivingly overlook a husband's infidelities when she knows by experience that they will be repeated, despite interregnums of tearful apology, and repeated yet again.

Anthony Weiner's flaunting of his belief of self as super-stud Carlos Danger, and his mock regret for political advantage in meeting the forgiving acceptance of New York voters is a telling tale of the sordidness of politics in an era of lost expectations of character. "I love him, I have forgiven him, I believe in him", pledged his wife courageously, willing to soldier on and permit the man who fathered her son to teach him how to be a good boy and then a responsible adult.

She must know, because women in these circumstances do know, that what her errant husband needs is a sound spanking and to be sent up to his bedroom without dinner to think deeply about his lack of remorse and his inability to school himself away from a salacious addiction that enhances his life far more than the willingness to become a dependable and loving companion to a woman who deserves just that, and a child who requires a father he can model himself after.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Follow @rheytah Tweet