Thursday, December 10, 2015

The Real Deal Guy

"I'm a deal guy. I've been winning all of my life. Like this property. Eight hundred acres on the Potomac River. I bought it for nothing I could sell it for anything. My whole life is about winning. I always win. I win at golf. My whole life is about winning. I don't lose often. I almost never lose."
"A thing like that [being ignored] is always a possibility. It's never happened because I've been having [success] this for a long time. I write a book, it becomes the Number One selling business book of all time. The Art of the Deal. All of my books have done well. The current book does well -- I don't even have time to promote it. Your question is a very fair question. I don't know if that [lack of attention] ever happens, because it's never happened to me. You have to tell me: why do I get four times the ratings of other candidates? The debates are the most highly rated shows ever for Fox News and CNN, in their history."
"I've always been there [in control]. In school I was always successful. In life, I was always successful. My father was a successful real estate developer and he was a very tough man but a good man. My father would always praise me. He always thought I was the smartest person. He said to one of the big magazines that everything he touches turns to gold. At a very young age. So I don't know. If there is a fear at all, it is a fear of the unknown because I've never been there before [failing to succeed]."
Donald J. Trump, contender for Republican presidential nomination



There is a spirited discussion, not only in the United States, but much further afield internationally, about the appearance of a man who might be considered the unlikeliest of political candidates to run for the highest office in the land, whose social values and political acumen are considered to be fairly Neanderthal. At best, Donald Trump is a bumphish charlatan, an ignoramus of distinction.

Among Americans transfixed by celebrity-syndrome he has made a name for himself. The vast wealth he commands is in fact enough to make him an admired figure in a country that venerates cash. And his vast wealth which has bought him everything he ever wanted to own, is in the running now to buy him the distinction of administering the affairs of the United States of America. Lack of intelligence is not made up for with astute business acumen.

The thing of it is that this man has cash, but is totally devoid of class. His crass bigotry and mean-spirited put-downs of anyone he thinks is beneath him -- and that means most people -- bespeaks a nasty temperament, a personality completely devoted to self. It is Ayn Rand's philosophy given a thick veneer of rancid meanness, an element that he proudly trumpets as honesty and speaking truth to power.

His speech is incoherent, but it is venomous, and people seem to thrill to it, perhaps for the sheer wretched audacity of it. But Donald Trump feels quite entitled to speak his feeble mind and speak it often. In a manner that would be destructive to the political aspirations of most, but seemingly not so for him. When he first announced his candidacy for contention as Republican presidential nominee it's doubtful that even his wife took him seriously.Qualifications are entirely absent.

Most watchers felt assured that he would soon flame out and the episode of his grand announcement would fall into dim history. Instead, his intention was welcomed with such acclaim from among the public supporters of conservative values that his fixation on himself as political Messiah prepared to haul America out of its liberal-left doldrums felt jubilantly validated. From one outrageous statement of intent 'when' he 'becomes president', to the next, his audience applauds his pompous presentations.

A Donald J. Trump rally in Davenport, Iowa, last week. More than four in 10 Republican primary voters say the quality most important to them in a candidate is strong leadership, and those voters heavily favor Mr. Trump. Credit Scott Olson/Getty Images

"He stands up to people, and he tells what’s on his mind. Unfortunately, even though people don’t want to hear it because a lot of what he says is inflammatory toward certain groups, it is the truth, because we have a massive problem."
Philip Austin, 66, retired insurance executive, Raleigh, N.C. 

"I’m mad about the Muslims coming in, I’m mad about the economy and I’m mad because we got a stupid president, and that’s about it."
Manuel Hart, 71, retired fire chief, Silver Springs, Florida

"It’s the things he says and how he says them. He’s just too blunt and straightforward, and it’s scary. He doesn’t hold anything back. Some people think the way he speaks is offensive, and I’m one of them."
Bill Rogers, 43, Xenia, Ohio 

"He’ll keep a sharp eye on those Muslims. He’ll keep the Patriot Act together. He’ll watch immigration. Stop the Muslims from immigrating."
Bettina Norden, 60, farmer, Springfield, Oregon

The truth is, the San Bernardino slaughter has traumatized Americans more than the U.S. administration might like to believe. A new poll indicates that the public is as close to being as fearful of yet another terrorist attack as they were in the wake of September 11, 2001. It's that dread that is helping to popularize just about any outrageous statement that stumbles out of Donald Trump's coarse mouth. His popularity has hit a new high among Republican primary voters.

In the wake of the Islamic State-owned assaults in Paris and the San Bernardino slaughter, a substantial portion of the public now views the threat of terrorism at home as their top issue of concern. Now, 19 percent of Americans claim fear of another terrorist attack is their number one concern over all other issues, compared to 4 percent making that claim a month earlier.


Labels: , , ,

Follow @rheytah Tweet